Charlotte with Sus, Chip and Tom

When we first moved to Dallas, we lived for about six months in an apartment. I had been looking for a place for the family every chance I had, but had not found anything. We were having trouble selling the house in Uvalde, and Charlotte was tired of waiting for it to sell. She finally said,” The kids and I are coming to Dallas by the end of March, whether the house sells or not, so find something for us to live in. I really started looking, and one evening about dark, I went out to see an apartment that seemed to be fairly priced. It looked good so, I gave them an earnest money deposit and headed back to the office, because I was working nights as well as during the day. That weekend I headed to Uvalde with a U-haul to get Charlotte and the children. We moved into the apartment and began settling in.

Photo of the train from the back door of apartment.

The first night about 6pm there was the loudest noise you could imagine. It shattered our ears. Susie was crying and the boys were holding their ears. I ran to the back door, the building began to jump, and all the dishes were rattling. When I looked out the back door I found the answer. A freight train was rumbling on tracks about 25 feet from our back door. We were just far enough from the Gaston Ave crossing that our back door was just where the train started blowing its horn.

Charlotte could not believe I had rented an apartment right on the railroad.

We did get used to it however, and we did have a lot of fun with guests. We would not tell them, and when the dishes started jumping, and the pictures on the wall got crooked, the kids would giggle and look at one another, waiting for that blast on the horn. We would go on talking as if nothing unusual was happening. Our guests would look at one another and appear a little apprehensive. I think the kids thought that we had to pay extra to have a real live train in our back yard.

We finally sold the Uvalde house on March 24, 1956, Charlotte’s birthday. To understand how bad the market was our house was the ONLY house to sell in the entire city of Uvalde for that first quarter of 1956! We of course lost money on the sale.